Visitors

Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 3

It's Halloween down under, however it's just like any other day. Aussies don't go mad for Halloween like the canadians. That's alright cos it's too bloody hot to want to dress up in anything other than a summer dress with a hair tie. Today would be day 3 for me down under. So far so good, it's a lovely lively place. Havent Seen much of Brisbane yet, but my main amusement so far is the wild life. Possums, lizards, spiders and heaps of loud birds. I'm thinking about getting a bird book cos there are too many for me to remember. Lucas had told me the names of them numerous times but even the names are completely foreign to me. That is how I woke up this morning, a lovely melody coming from a group of birdies singing outside the window. We went on a morning walk and saw a group of parrots squawking around their nest. First time seeing one in the wild. The vegetation is completely different as well. Trees and bushes everywhere, I'm going to have to learn the names cos the are so interesting. Colourful flowers everywhere, wild roses and such. It's really gorgeous. The people are kind and polite. Reminds me a lot of the maritimes. Friendlier than Calgary, not that my friends there aren't nice but people speak to you out in public. They don't hide their faces. The couple we are staying with are extremely welcoming and accommodating. They are really adorable and hilarious. I don't feel out of place at the house, it's a little different out walking around but that's just cos the architecture is different than what I'm used to. Most houses are made of brick. Lucas told me that some are double brick. Other houses are on stilts invade of a flood. No basements here at all, Bec said she has never Been in a basement before. That's odd to me but completely normal here. The roofs are corrugated iron or terracotta tile, no shingles for these Aussies. It's overwhelming at times but only cos my mind is trying to absorb it all at once. Through baby steps I plan to educate myself about this amazing country. It will take time but it's fascinating. Lucas is taking good care of me. Daily I speak to friends and family. It's hard cos we only have our mobiles for Internet. Tomorrow the search for our home begins, I'm excited to get our own place. I'll be able to make my own space and that will maker me feel more comfortable. Also I want an address so I can start sending stuff home. Give it a couple weeks and all will be sorted.

Until next time, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment