Visitors

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Critters

 Monday Lucas started work, this leaves me alone to entertain myself throughout the day. I've started to venture out. I plan to explore this city and see what it has to offer me. Other than hot sticky rays of sunshine which penetrate my poor fragile canadian skin. Today I walked to the closest post office, I've found my new addiction...postcards! After I headed downtown by train, took a lovely walk along the water and went into a couple of souvenir shops. Had planned to do some Xmas shopping but with the heat, I couldn't be bothered. So instead I found some nice grass and had a read under a tree by the river.  Ended up writing as well. I came up with some more differences/ new experiences for me here so far.

Topic, Critters. I like bugs as much as I like a kick in the head. Canada is cold, not many bugs. Here they are everywhere. Within my first hours in Brisbane I heard a Cicada. I thought it was an angry cricket that couldn't shut up. Similar to crickets but constant. They are large but have acoustic talents. My goal is to actually find one, Lucas says "Good Luck" and laughs. Shite. Cicadas are not just in Australia but I hear there are many different sorts here.
Cicada

Gecko
Another buddy that I see and hear daily, Geckos. Personally I think they are bloody cool. At this moment, there is one hanging above my head. My window is open and the light is attracting bugs, so buddy is just waiting for his tea. They make a certain call, at first I thought it was a bird but I can tell the difference now.


 I haven't seen one yet but have heard about them, Cane Toads. People do not like them and even whack them with golf clubs. You need a golf club cos they are gigantic. It's like one toad ate a dozen other toads. Toad on juice. I'm guessing people don't adore them because they eat all the cane and they have poisonous glands. It's like the episode of the Simpsons when Homer licks a gigantic toad and begins to hallucinate. I don't plan to lick one.
Cane Toad

 Brisbane has June Bugs, well that is the canadian term. Here they are known as the Christmas Beetle, they are the exact same. Pretty neat seeing them, even though they are nasty fellas.

 I've come to realize that the ants are angry bastards who love to bite me. I've been bitten twice already and it bloody hurts. I guess it's my canadian blood.

 That's all the critters for now, will likely have more whenever I run into any. Going to go watch the Gecko capture some mosquitos :)

  Soonly,

No comments:

Post a Comment